2023 marks the centenary of Thorpe House School. Originally a preparatory school for boys, Thorpe House was founded by Charles Edward Averill in 1923, in premises located in Queensway situated behind the current school buildings in Oval Way following a move in 1925.
In 1964, the Averill family added to the school buildings by opening Kingscote Pre-Prep, a new build also in Oval Way, thus increasing the educational provision from Nursery to 13 years old.
In 1985, the school became a Charitable Educational Trust although Kingscote remained under the ownership of the Averill family until 2012, when it too became part of the Trust. In 2006, the school evolved once again by adding a senior section allowing boys to take their GCSEs at Thorpe.
In celebration of this historic event, the PTA will be holding a Centenary Ball, which we hope that current and past parents and Old Thorpians will support in large numbers.
Details to follow.